Friday, November 28, 2014

Thirty Days of Thankfulness - Day Twenty Eight

My Extended Family

I often said I was fortunate that I had my grandparents for as long as I did.  I  was, in fact, over twenty when I lost my first grandparent - my maternal grandfather. I was pretty close with both sets of grandparents but I spent much more time with my maternal grandparents.

The reason for that was mostly because I was very close to my aunt and cousin and they lived in the same city as my grandparents.  Every summer I would go and spend at least 2 weeks there and shuffle back and forth between my aunt's house and my grandparent's house.  One of the most vivid memories I have of my grandpa is him sitting at the dining room table playing cards, having a beer with salt in it, and listening to the Brewers on the radio with Bob Eucker announcing the game.  My grandmother would make popcorn (with colored kernels) and we would either play cards or watch a movie.  My grandfather would also bring me to the restaurant he frequented to "show me off."  And that is exactly how he made me feel...like I was so special to him and he was so proud of me.  

 My aunt and I have a special relationship and I was so close to my cousin when we were growing up.  We even have sons who are three weeks apart in age.  Unfortunately as we married and had kids we went in different directions. She moved to Jacksonville, Florida in 1995 and as luck would have it, was moving back to Wisconsin the week before we moved to Florida in 1999.  
My aunt (middle) with my cousins kids

My aunt, cousin, and cousin's daughter



I feel so lucky to have these memories - and many more.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...