After three years at Central Florida Christian Academy (some years/months were wonderful...some not so much) I am back at my "home" school Hope Charter for what is most likely my final year of teaching.
After leaving Hope back in 20203 because of not having my ESOL credits, the owner realized she could have kept me on as a permanent sub. Each year, I would return to teach summer school, and each year she would call me to her office to see if I was ready to come back. I would tell her that God had not told me to "move" yet. I firmly believe God leads me where He needs me and I believe my purpose of staying at CFCA was to tend to my little girl who lost her mother in December since I had just been through it myself.
This spring was different. I felt a tug to leave as I saw the vision of the school changing and I felt I was not a good fit for the direction they were going. My first stop was talking to the owner at Hope.
All she had available was a 5th grade position. That is not in my comfort zone, so I prayed hard about it. I kept coming back to the God leads me where He needs me belief and decided to trust His purpose for me. I'm not going to lie though - I was worried all summer and not really all that excited about it. I kept praying.
A couple weeks before school started, the principal approached me and asked how I felt about teaching 3rd grade. Apparently they had hired a teacher for 3rd and after thinking about it, came forward and said she really wanted something in the 5th or 6th grade range. God moved! As a plus, the second of the 3rd grade team is the same teacher I taught 2nd grade with!!! And I really love her!!!
We are a week into school and I am bonding well with my 18 3rd graders. It's going to be an adjustment because I don't have nearly the free planning time that I had at CFCA, but on the flip side, I really enjoy being able to get more academics into the school day.
As I said, I am pretty sure this will be my last year as a classroom teacher. Next summer, I need to move to the house in Flagler Beach that my parents left to us. My rent is up to $2,000 a month and I it's silly for me to continue to pay that when I could move and pay about $600 a month for lot rent/utilities.
I am going to try my best to enjoy every moment.
No comments:
Post a Comment