Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Their Bond is Different

I have a sister.  She and I are very close now and I love her with all my heart and miss her.  

BUT...we weren't always this way.  I think she can admit now that she bullied me as a child, always had to have her own way, and basically intimidated me into submission.  I was a pretty content and compliant child but, every now and then, even I reached my limit and my attempt to stand up for myself usually resulted in kicking, scratching, hair-pulling cat fights.  Laughing at that image?  Me too.


Anyway, whenever I thought about having a family of my own, I always thought I'd have two girls.  And, of course, they'd be best friends and do everything together, and never ever ever fight. Delusional I know.  


So you can imagine my surprise when I  had not one boy but two boys!  And sixteen months apart!  They hardly ever fought with each other (until they got into their teens) but even when they do fight it is nothing like my sister and I used to fight.  They pretty much say what's on their mind and go their separate ways.


But it's their bond with their little brother that amazes me.  They love him fiercely - and always have.  They would do anything for him...protect him...comfort him...and step outside their comfort zone for him.  



Zack still remembers when CJ was his "father" in the father-son basketball game.  Knowing CJ like I do and knowing his personality, I'm pretty sure he did not want to do that.  But...he would do anything for his little brother.


Jon has gone to all of Zack's basketball games this year.  Not such a big sacrifice unless you know how much of a homebody Jon is.  Trust me, he does not enjoy leaving the house.  


Zack, in turn, adores his big brothers and wants them around all the time. Sobbing uncontrollably at times when he has to say good-bye to them. 


I love witnessing their bond.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...