Wednesday, November 18, 2015

I Really Can't Believe This is Happening

This post is more for me to let off steam and as a reference point for me to use if things should continue to drag on here.  

Remember this post?  

Yeah... well...that seems like a vacation day compared to the hell I am living through right now!  

A little back story: I was not happy with my 2015 Toyota Corolla so back in September I began looking around to see if I could find someone who would be willing to give me the $15,000 I paid for the car so I would not be out any money.  That was a journey in itself but I was in no hurry to sell.  I finally found a dealership who would pay the $15,000.00, sell me a 2011 Chevrolet Aveo, and cut me a check for the difference.  The vehicle was purchased on October 5th.  

Fast Forward to Tuesday November 3 

Zack and I were going to the Magic Kingdom.  When we arrived at the parking gate, the car made one small clicking sound and the car died.  They closed the lane (how embarrassing) and the attendant walked over to my car, felt the hood, declared it to be cool, and told me to shut everything down for two minutes and then try restarting.  It did.  I was able to pull into a parking spot and Zack and I went into the park and stayed for about 3-3.5 hours. 

When I got back to the car I decided to start it up and drive it to the gas station/service station about a mile away.  It started up fine and was actually running fine.  Unfortunately this was 8:00 at night and the service station had closed at 7:00.  So once again, I felt the hood and decided that since the engine was cool and the car was running well, I would try to make it the 5 miles home.  

Well, because it's me, the car made it 2 miles from my home before making a horrendous clicking noise.  I immediately pulled the car over... and it died.  This is when Zack noticed smoke coming from the hood.  Great! By the way, do you have any idea how fun it is to be driving 40 mph on I4 with your hazard lights on while everyone is zipping by you going 65-70?  

 I did some research on the internet and picked a place called Orlando Auto Imports to have my car towed to.  They had rave reviews (especially Joe) and they deserved every one of them!  By far the best experience I have ever had with a mechanic shop.  Joe went above and beyond to try to help me.  

Anyway, Joe replaced a hose and then the thermostat but the car was still overheating and, by November 6, he determined I needed a new engine.  Grrr.  

We talked warranties and I gave him the extended Power Train warranty I had purchased from the dealership.  He made some phone calls and discovered that, to have the car covered under the warranty, I would need to have the car towed to the dealership.  

Wednesday November  11
The car is towed to Napleton VW Orlando (Orlando peeps - stay away from this dealership!!!)  

Friday November 13
I received a phone call from them verifying the need for a new engine (reinforcing the honesty of Orlando Auto Imports) and that they were in the process of submitting a claim to the warranty company.  ***Big sigh*** My car was finally going to be fixed. 

Tuesday November 17
Another phone call received notifying me that the warranty would NOT cover the cost of a new engine because of ----well something called fault codes and driving an overheating car thereby causing the engine damage myself and blah blah blah.  

Oh to the heck to the no!   There is NO WAY  I caused that damaged by driving my car less than 5 miles!  Remember the engine was NOT HOT at the gas station?  

So I spend the rest of yesterday doing research and getting my case together. I called Joe and asked for his opinion as to what caused the damage (hose from thermostat to throttle body broke causing the engine to overheat immediately) and if he would be willing to officially state that if it were to come to the point of needing to file a lawsuit...which he was...because he is Joe and he is awesome.  

Wednesday November 18 (today)
I began the day by calling the warranty company.  After arguing with them over what caused the damage and accusing them of making up fake fault codes that could not possibly be backed up by what actually happened, they said they would look into it and call me back.  

They did call me back with a completely different stance- just not one that included covering the cost of the repair.  Nope...this time they stated that the "car is already covered under a factory warranty through Chevrolet and, according to the terms of our contract, Chevrolet needed to be the ones to cover it."  

And just for the sake of letting off steam and because I was beyond frustrated, I yelled for exactly eight minutes.  My argument came down to "I am a paying customer, I paid for this warranty and I want to use this warranty. I don't want to pay for another tow to a Chevy dealership, pay for another diagnostic test, and then have to wait all over again for a claim to be processed...I want to get this ship sailing NOW!!!"

Fell on deaf ears.  But don't worry, I have the name of that company and will be writing scathing reviews of their practices!  And the Better Business Bureau will also be hearing their name.

So tonight my car rests at the Chevy dealership waiting for a third diagnostic test.  I can only pray with all my heart that Chevrolet will do right and stand by their product.  

In the meantime, I have had to rent a car from the 6th to the 13th. I have been without a car since the 13th.  Tomorrow I pick up another rental for a few days....$$$$$

God has me deep in this valley and I am waiting to be pulled out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...