Wednesday, August 12, 2015

75 Days in Florida: Observations

We have now been in Florida for 75 days and I could say I can't believe how fast this summer has gone but I know that sounds so cliche.  

Zack starts school in less than 2 weeks and it is a little bittersweet. While I know this is the best thing for him - I really hate early mornings.  His school hours are 7:20- 2:08 (and 1:08 on Wednesdays) so mornings will begin very early.  Zack, for his part, is really excited about starting a new school and making new friends so that makes things a lot easier.  

We went to school today to register him and he was supposed to be able to pick his classes...however, when we got there his shot record, which had been forwarded from his school in Wisconsin, couldn't be accepted because it needed to be "validated" for the state of Florida.  Grrrr...and for that simple reason, we had to postpone his registration until next week.  

So, after 75 days in Florida 

I have learned my way around pretty well - but still have a lot to learn.  We have explored new restaurants - but still have many more to try.  We have been theme park fanatics going to Universal at least once a week and finally making it to Sea World - but we still have to tackle Disney.

I learned I had to put my hatred for Wal-Mart aside and now do most of my grocery shopping there.  I still consider it a horrible experience and they are only slightly better than Oshkosh about keeping their shelves stocked but Target is just too far away and unless we are going that way for another reason, it's not feasible to make the drive each week for groceries.  

I have learned to avoid Central Florida Parkway and International Drive between the hours of 5:00 - 8:00 if possible.  And Friday nights?  Forget it - avoid travel altogether!  

I have learned which stop lights last fooreveer!   And  I have learned you have to become the most dedicated defensive driver here because you never know when someone will, say, make a right hand turn from the left hand lane because "there is the gas station I wanted to go to but, on no, I 'm in the wrong lane but I really want to get there so I am just going to make that right turn RIGHT NOW!!!! and I don't care how many people have to break suddenly to avoid hitting me just as long as I get where I want."

And finally, I have learned that I have definitely made the right decision moving because I so enjoy living near my boys again!     
  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...