Saturday, March 28, 2015

Fascination with the "Little People"...an Observation

I don't really "watch" a lot of TV.  The TV is usually on but, for me, it is just background noise.  There is nothing on TV that I watch faithfully week to week besides Downton Abbey.  

But lately I've noticed via commercials, that there are a heck of a lot of reality TV shows centering around families of dwarfs.  Maybe it's me, but I don't understand the fascination.

It began with Little People Big World featuring the Roloff family...Matt and Amy who are dwarfs and their four children, three who are average sized and one who is a dwarf.  The show aired 2006 through 2010.  

Then there is The Little Couple which started airing in 2009.  This show features Bill and Jen and, recently, their two adopted children who are also dwarfs.  The show records their struggles to have a family and through Jen's fight with cancer. 

Next we have Our Little Family. This family of 5, which includes a young boy and twin girls, all have acondroplasia dwarfism.  I gotta admit...those three kids are adorable little tow heads.  

Premiering soon is another show about a family of 7 who also are all achcondroplasia dwarfs.  The Johnston family from Georgia consider themselves the real life seven dwarfs.  They have two biological children and three adopted children.  

Finally there is Little Women LA which has been airing for almost a year.  This show drives me crazy!!! Mostly because while scrolling through channels to see what is on...my eye is drawn to the Little Women part and automatically I get excited thinking the Louisa May Alcott Little Women movie is on.   

 If combining all of those, I've maybe watched 6 full episodes.  Not a big fan and don't understand the fascination but it seems this subject must fascinate some people because little people shows are more popular than ever.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...