Wednesday, March 8, 2017

My How Times Have Changed

I am probably dating myself but I learned to read using a series of books now fondly known as "Dick and Jane" books.  


At the time, they were simply words on a page that I had to read, but now,  I find them quite entertaining.  Paging through the book, I am amused by the well defined gender roles that were common place during that time.  



Jane is wearing a dress with knee socks and patent leather Mary Jane shoes.   Dick has on blue jeans or pants, t shirt, and canvas tennis shoes. Then there is Sally...because two kids are not enough... in a dress of her own with socks and shoes similar to Jane's. Mom is wearing either a dress or some kind of skirt/shirt combination, complete with nylons, dress shoes, and, usually,  an apron. She is most likely seen either in the kitchen cooking, cleaning the house, or taking care of the kids.  And let's not forget dad, just home from a day at the office, in his suit and tie. Or, while at home, he is outside doing yard work.   Oh...and no perfect family is complete without a dog and cat, which is where Spot and Puff come in.


But the changing times I'm talking about have nothing to do with stereotypical gender roles that have been reconstructed over time...

The change I am talking about is when a 2nd grade boy discovers the girl sitting next to him has a "Dick and Jane" book, takes it away from her, and brings it to me...

 "Mrs. Koeck, look, this book has a bad word on it."  

Dick is no longer just a name!!!!!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...