Wednesday, April 9, 2014

So...It Happened Again

A few years ago, just about this time of the year, I needed to take Zack to the doctor for a follow-up appointment because he had had an ear infection.  While we were there, almost as an after thought, I mentioned that he had complained about his throat a couple times over the course of a few days and asked the doctor to look at it.  I was beyond surprised when the strep test came back positive because he had been eating, talking, playing, and acting otherwise normal.

Fast forward to today:

I had to bring him to the doctor for a medication check (he needs this every three months to remain on Concerta) and he also needed a vaccine.  Height, weight,  and blood pressure check were all perfect.  Temperature check was 99.6*.  Hmm.  This was surprising.  Zack immediately said, "that's weird, I'm not sick."  And then added...almost as an afterthought, "well, my throat kinda hurts in the morning when I wake up."  The nurse left and the doctor came in.  We chatted about the effectiveness of the Concerta and made some small talk.  I looked over at Zack who was, of course, chewing his fingernails and remembered the throat.  "Oh yeah doc, could you look in his throat."  Yep...strep test was positive!!!

I haven't had strep in years, like probably at least ten years or more, but when I've had strep.  I. AM. SICK!!!  I mean feel-like-I've-been-hit-by-a-car sick.  High fever, can't talk or eat, and I always throw up when I have strep.  It is unbelievable to me that someone can have strep and look and act completely normal.  

Since we've been home he's eaten dinner and been outside playing basketball and actually having a great ole time because, not only must he feel fine, he also cannot go to school tomorrow!  You can be sure if I get strep, I will feel like death warmed over!  Not fair.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...