Sunday, April 6, 2014

Just My Opinions

My Florida Gators have had an amazing basketball season.


They won 30 in a row, went undefeated in the SEC, were ranked number one for a better part of the year, and made it to the Final Four.


Once they made it to the Final Four, I was satisfied that their season was a success and didn't really care if they made it to the Championship game or not.  And, as it turned out, they did not.  They picked the game last night to have one of their poorest shooting performances of the year...going 1 for 8 from behind the arc.  As a team, they shoot about 60% from three point range so this was really bad!

But, I was okay with this.  This team surpassed all expectations so, to me, it was still a success.  

Thanks for the memories, Gators.

The Wisconsin Badgers were playing Kentucky and they were the team that I really wanted to win (unfortunately, they didn't)!!! I like the Badgers...but the bigger reason was...I hate Kentucky!  



This is where my opinions come in:


Kentucky starts 5 freshman. They are otherwise known as "one and dones" because they plan to play college basketball for only one year and then head to the NBA.  This is not Kentucky's first year with a "one and done" team, in fact this is their coach's MO.

Am I the only one who thinks that this is not in line with college basketball?  Where is the college part of this?  These 5 are not at Kentucky for college.  They are there for one reason only...as a stepping stone into the NBA.  This is a sham!

How can the NCAA continue to allow one coach to turn college basketball into a showcase of one year players who all have the talent to be first round draft picks in the NBA?  

I understand that this is an impossible thing to monitor and control but it still bothers me tremendously.  

Oh well, Kentucky may be going to the championship game after a one point victory over Wisconsin, but at least I have the satisfaction of saying that the Gators beat them 3 times this season!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...