Wednesday, August 28, 2013

At the Start of Another School Year

Is retreat time again. 

This year it was held at yet another new facility - Northland International University, which is a Baptist University in Northern Wisconsin. 

Due to our (most likely) impending move to Florida next year, I gave up my discipleship group this year.  I only had 1 girl returning and the rest were going to be new so I decided to pass them on to a new leader this year to bond with them from the start.

Because of this, I did not really have to go to the retreat...but I really wanted to go.  It provides a great opportunity to have fun and bond with the Middle School kids. 

The problem was...they didn't have enough space for me to sleep at the University.  So, I came up with my own plan.

Since my parent's house was only 20 minutes north of the retreat facilities, Jon, Zack, and I drove up there Saturday...spent the weekend...then I drove Zack down to the University on Monday and I stayed for the day...went back to my parent's house to sleep...and then picked Zack up at 5:30 yesterday and drove home.

The place was beautiful.







And Monday was a beautiful day.  A bit hot...but perfect for swimming and water play.





After swimming the students had the option to try a zip line, or a swing type ride.  There was a rock wall too but it was so hot the "rocks" were burning the kid's hands.

The only one to try the rock wall.  She only made it half way up before giving up because the handles were too hot

Swing ride.

It was funny to watch the different personalities of the kids trying the zip line.

Some wouldn't try at all (Zack)!

Some jumped right off, screaming with excitement, waving their hands in the air.

And some got all hooked up and then got nervous about letting go and jumping off.

trying to muster the nerve to try the zip line

When that happened, it was neat to hear everyone watching shouting encouraging things to them

shouting encouragement to a nervous school mate


As I said, there was not enough room for me to sleep overnight, but the cabins looked pretty nice.

There were more beds upstairs and a bathroom with two stalls and two showers on the left.



Another great start to the school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...