Friday, October 28, 2016

My Revolving Door Classroom and Other Stuff

There is just NO WAY that we will be in the month of November next week!  I am in complete denial that another year of HHN is just about over.  I know it's a cliche' but it seriously does feel just like yesterday I was walking through the first scare zone (Dead Man's Wharf) and going through the first house (Krampus) of HHN 2016.   It seems like just yesterday that C.J. and I were standing in the middle of Diagon Alley looking at the full moon and commenting on how perfect it was for the occasion.   And then, of course, there was the first Bill and Ted show of the season.  One of the things I love about that show is that, while you may see it so much that you have the dialogue memorized, they are continually adding new jokes and add new lines to keep up with information that surfaces during the time the show runs.  

I had the day off today so Zack and I (and Ollie) drove over to Flagler Beach to spend the weekend with my parents.  Finances are tight right now again so they are sending us back with a full tank of gas and lots and lots of food!   I don't know what I would do without them!!!

So yesterday I arrived at school anticipating an ordinary day...ha!   The 4th and 5th grade went on a field trip, one of the 3rd grade teachers had secured a sub that did not show up (her students were divided between the other 2 3rd grade teachers), and the other 2nd grade teacher had a sub.  All that to say, at 9:00, a 4th grade student showed up at my door saying he was "spending the day in my room" because he couldn't go on the field trip. Um...ok...a little warning would have been nice but whatever.  I welcome him and lead him to an empty desk.  An hour later, two 3rd grade students show up at my door saying they had to do their work in my room because they were "not behaving" in their room.  Right on...welcome them and find them two empty desks (though they had to go back and get their chairs).  A half hour later, I add a boy from the other 2nd grade to my room because he was being "too disruptive."  By now it was almost comical....and also quite disruptive to my own class and teaching.  I was eventually able to send the 2 third graders back but the other 2 kids were an addition to my class for the whole day!  

This is not unheard of though as years ago when I was teaching kindergarten, I had two boys join my class for pretty much the whole month of May when their teacher became very ill and the sub could not handle them. I still laugh when I look at pictures I took of my class that month and see those two boys playing, smiling, and hamming it up like they belonged there - meanwhile knowing the real reason they had to be there.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...