Monday, October 10, 2016

Aaaand We Are Home

As it turns out, Hurricane Matthew was kind to Orlando.  We have a couple trees down around the complex but that is about it.  The same cannot be said for Flagler Beach which is where my parents live.  

These pictures are from A1A which is just a few miles from their home. 



St Augustine, just to the north of them, also took a huge hit.  



My sister, who lives in Daytona Beach, ended up at a shelter Thursday night and we were all so glad she made the decision to go.  Daytona Beach took a pretty bad hit also. 


I am so grateful for parents who are willing to step up in an emergency situation.  In the end, my parents paid for all our gas and all our food during our evacuation.  We all shared a motel room so the whole 4 days cost me maybe $30.00 or so.  

Unfortunately, I am still stuck with trying to my bills while two days short on pay.  I called the bank that has my loan and they are willing to spread this month's payment out over the next two months.  And the biggest predicament is that Zack and I have tickets for the Gator's game this Saturday...if we go, it will cost about $50.00 in gas and food.  If we don't, I have wasted $75.00 on tickets we didn't use.  UGH. 

But I was blown away this morning by another $150.00 donation to our Go Fund Me account from a high school friend.  I had casually mentioned it in an email I sent her thinking the account had been closed.  I don't know how she found it since I did not send her the link.  But anyway, I got a notice via e-mail this morning that the funds were being sent to my account.  

Friday ended up being a crazy day.  The motel we stayed at on Thursday night did not have any vacancies for Friday night so I googled "pet friendly motels" and finally found one in Mobile, Alabama.  So we drove about 2.5 hours, arriving in Mobile about 2:00 only to discover at check in that the motel had a no pets policy.  What???  

We turned around and drove back to Pensacola and stopped at a McDonalds to regroup.  It was right next to a motel that just happened to have one more room available!   Thank God!  I was not looking forward to driving the 8 hours home on Friday night.  


Leaving Florida


Mobile, Alabama



Back in Florida again



Saturday we all drove back to Orlando and my parents stayed overnight since they still dis not have any power.  

What an adventure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...