Wednesday, May 11, 2016

I Hate the Word Combo

I officially surrender... the milkshakes have won!  

Most of our food items at work (burgers, chicken, fish, hot dogs, etc) come two ways...as a platter or as a combo.  The platter just means fries come with the food item which is no big deal.  But if it is a combo, that means they get the fires AND a milkshake, and therein lies the problem!

For the first 8 months I worked there, the milkshakes were made in a separate area of the restaurant and there was a person specifically dedicated to making them.  If a customer ordered a combo, all we had to do was point out where they had to go to pick up the shake and move on to the next order...easy peasy.  

But for some reason, 2 months ago, someone decided to get a shake machine and put it behind the line and they no longer designate anyone in particular to make the milkshakes.  This means, whenever a combo is ordered, there is a 95% chance that we will have to make the shake(s) ourselves.  

This involves getting a blender, filling it with the shake mix, putting it on the shake machine and letting the machine do it's thing.   Not hard work - but VERY time consuming!  Meanwhile. tickets pile up from people waiting for food and, once in a while, you have an angry customer making comments about the amount of time it takes to get their food (which I can completely understand).

So you can imagine whenever I see the word "combo" I have to try not to roll my eyes and just take a deep breath.  Today, we had 3 lines open and 4 people working.  Usually in that scenario, I am left working alone on a line because they consider me 'capable'.  

By the end of the day, the milkshake breakdown was this:

Line 2 served 43 milkshakes

Line 3 served 20 milkshakes (the line with 2 people sharing the work)

Line 4 served 8 milkshakes

I'm sure you can figure out which line I was on!  


Yep, I had some unhappy customers today....and I wasn't exactly jumping for joy myself!  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...