Saturday, May 21, 2016

An Unexpected Lightning Storm

Chris, C.J., and Zack had plans to attend game 4 of the Lightning/Penguins series last night.  Unfortunately, for Chris anyway, he had strep throat and was unable to go...enter me!  

I was so unbelievably excited about the game because game 1 of the Lightning/Detroit series was the only playoff game I have ever been to and this one was so much deeper into the playoffs than that one was.  The energy and excitement level in Amalie Arena was bound to be rowdy. 

I was very upset and disappointed when I discovered that I left the memory card for my camera in my computer...C.J. took these pictures and sent them to me.



Florida is a melting pot of transplants from around the country so it is almost guaranteed the opposing team will be well represented at sport's venues and that was certainly true last night.  One thing I noticed, though, is that almost every Penguins jersey had either Crosby or Lemieux on the back - is there no one else on the team? Lemieux doesn't even play anymore.   

Anyway, the atmosphere was electrifying and Lightning fans did not have to wait long to have a reason to intensify the electricity as Callahan scored on the very first shift just 27 seconds into the game.  


The Lightning would dominate the 1st and 2nd period en route to  building a 4-0 lead. It was a pretty relaxing (as in non stressful) and fun game at this point. They were aggressive on both offense and defense. 

Then came the 3rd period and........................yeah.  Tampa Bay was outshot 16-7 this period. The puck found its way into the net on 3 of those 16 shots.  And the game became much more stressful and nerve wracking than it should have been.  

But, in the end, the Lightning held on for the win to tie the series at 2-2.  

I may be wrong but my feeling is that this is the end of the road for the Lightning.  Prior to last night's game, they were being outshot 89-49.  And, after the horrible 3rd period, the Penguins outshot the Lightning last night too.  Unless they find a miraculous remedy for their struggling defense, this is it.  

 I am so glad I got to have this experience. 





Video Highlights

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...