Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Eulogizing A Child

Michael Brown

Is there a person in the USA that doesn't recognize that name by now?

I'll be honest here - when I heard what had happened there in Ferguson, I was disgusted and outraged.   I don't know all the details of the incidence.  I know what the media has put out there - and if what the media has put out there is 100% accurate, then a crime has been committed and the perpetrator needs to pay the price.  Period.  No one should be allowed to shoot an unarmed person 6 times, twice in the head, and not be charged with a crime!!! 

I think what happened to that young man is a shame because he was a wonderful, worthy child of God. To me, it didn't matter what the color of his skin was, the real shame is that the promising life of a young man has ended and it was completely unnecessary.   

Anyway, the funeral was televised this morning and (just my two cents here) I was saddened that what should have been a celebration and remembrance of the life of a beautiful person was used as a platform for racial and social change...even if it was in the name of Michael Brown. I just don't think it was right time to be focusing on those issues or even for seeking justice or vengeance.  At times it sounded more like a rally for justice and change than a tribute to the young man and his life.  Again, just my opinion.    

But, oohh, the eulogy his step-mother gave...it gave me chills.  She spoke so quietly of a relationship with her step-son that had grown over the summer as they both had a deeper desire to know God and read the Bible.  She spoke of premonitions of death that he had and of his desire to make a difference in this world!  Specifically he said, "one day, everyone will know who I am."  I am certain that God granted him that gift of prophesy. 


Anguish: Michael Brown Sr., yells out as the casket carrying his son is lowered during the funeral service of Michael Brown in Normandy, Missouri on Monday, August 25, 2014
Too much: Lesley McSpadden, Michael Brown's mother, cries during her son's funeral at the Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church, St Louis
Laid to rest: A horse-drawn hearse carries Michael Brown to his gravesite at St. Peters Cemetery in Normandy, Missouri on Monday
A casket containing the body of Michael Brown is wheeled out of the Friendly Temple Missionary Baptist Church in St. Louis

* images from google*
In the midst of this senseless tragedy...let's not lose sight of who this young man was.  Regardless of the color of his skin or the circumstances surrounding his death..he was a human being ...he was someone's son, grandson, brother, nephew,cousin, friend.  And he was loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...