Sunday, February 2, 2014

Character Building

Zack's basketball team had a tournament yesterday.  

The events of the day were so unusual that I never experienced anything even similar in all my years of attending basketball games, much less on the same day.

By the time we got home last night I was so frustrated, and quite frankly stunned, that I wasn't even going to blog about it.

But I have changed my mind.  I won't get into specifics here except to say that the boys played three great basketball games and should be very proud of their effort and their sportsmanship.  



They won the first two games easily and the third game they came up against some refs who really had it in for them. I don't normally say that. I am usually the one who defends the refs because, while they all make a bad call now and then, they are usually pretty fair.  And it usually doesn't affect the outcome of a game one way or another.

Last night was the first time ever I have really believed the refs were obviously against them.  By the beginning of the fourth period, every one of their players (who got extended playing time) were at risk for fouling out and it was surreal to watch as the boys could not even play defense for fear of picking up their fifth foul.  All they could do is stand there and watch the other team drive to the basket and hope they would miss.  

Sadly, I am not exaggerating.



I don't necessarily think losing is bad.  And bad calls by refs are going to happen.  I believe it all plays a part in building your character.  But this was tough.  There is so much more these boys endured from the refs that I am not putting on here -  and it was hard to watch.

Tough day.

This picture unfortunately is very blurry but I love it.  Three who love basketball waiting impatiently to get back in the game (Zack id in the middle).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...