Tuesday, March 5, 2013

It Is Well With My Soul

I have often been intrigued by this song.
 
It Is Well With My Soul
When peace like a river, attendeth my way,
When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Refrain:
It is well, (it is well),
With my soul, (with my soul)
It is well, it is well, with my soul.

Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,
Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.

My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:
If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life,
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.

But Lord, 'tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,
The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh, trump of the angel! Oh, voice of the Lord!
Blessed hope, blessed rest of my soul.

And Lord, haste the day when my faith shall be sight,
The clouds be rolled back as a scroll;
The trump shall resound, and the Lord shall descend,
Even so, it is well with my soul.


It was written by Horatio Spafford after a series of traumatic events in life. He not only endured the death of a son and financial ruin brought on by the Great Chicago Fire, his four daughters were killed in a sinking ship while crossing the Atlantic Ocean. 

His wife was the only survivor.

It was while Spafford traveled to meet his wife that he wrote this song.  He was inspried to write the words as he came close to the area where his daughters had died.

As a parent I know that his heart was grieving...but he was, at the same time, comforted in the knowledge that our all powerful God held every tear that he shed and rejoicing in the fact that Jesus had shed his blood on the cross for us so that we could have the assurances of heaven.

Oh how his faith and love of God puts me to shame.

The trials I am going through are nothing compared to the crosses he had bear...so why then, can I not have that same comfort? 

I want to...I strive to...I even want to believe that I do.  But deep down, I know that I want things to go MY way. 

Once again, instead of having total reliance on God to fulfill his will for my life, Satan barges in and brings forth all the sinful qualities in me - worry, anger, resentment, jealousy...etc.

Oh why oh why do I have to be human?

Like Mr. Spafford, I need to make a conscious effort each minute of each day to depend on my almighty Father...by reading my Bible, and praying, and going to church, and turning over all my worries and fears to HIM...who loves me unconditionally and without end!!! Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...