Thursday, March 21, 2013

Computers Can Be Frustrating!

Today is probably the worst day I have had in a long, long time.

First of all, I had plans today to take pictures throughout the day of my classes in Computer.  It is my busiest day in there with 2 classes in the morning and four classes in the afternoon.

To make things smoother for me on such a busy day, it is generally a keyboarding day.  Keyboarding is something that is mostly self-paced and they generally don't need much help or supervision from me.

What they do need though is to log onto a different server than the computers normally use.  Not a big deal for them...they know how to switch from one server to the next.

6th graders came in first...at 8:15.  They know to log-in for keyboarding on Thursdays so...they did.  And we waited...and waited...and waited...and, yeah, waited. Ten minutes later, the settings were still not loaded.  There was no way to log off and task manager would not even work so every one had to manually shut down their hard drives (dangerous) and re-start. Okay...keyboarding was out...we'll do PowerPoint instead  Long story short...by the time they were finally able to log in using our usual server to work on their PowerPoints, there was only 5 minutes left in the class.

7th graders came in at 9:50 and their class went fine  because I just had them do PowerPoints right away instead of trying to do keyboarding.

All this time, my own desktop computer (which operates in the same server as the keyboarding server) was trying to load.  In the end, it took almost 3 hours for my computer to load and even then I got a message that it needed to load from a remote server.  

8th graders came in at 12:15.  My plan was to add images to their html documents and then copy their home page.  Yeah...that wasn't happening.  Being that I was using a remote server I had no access to any of my documents meaning I had no access to my html document so that I could demonstrate for them how to do this complicated step!  Free Day for them...instead of tomorrow.

I ended up cancelling the 5th grade class. I might make it up tomorrow sometime if the server is working tomorrow.  

1st and 2nd grade ended up playing with legos online.  The younger classes are easy to keep busy with meaningless things for fun.  

And that was it. So, by days end...my computer did load on a remote server but I was not able to do a single thing on it all day long!!!  

I am hoping our technical support guys are on this thing and it will be better by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...