Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Who Knew?

Three years ago, during Zack's first year on the Oshkosh Christian basketball team, his coach gave up on him.

I'm not going to put my feelings about that on this blog except to say that he was a very nice man who made a very big mistake.  


He told my son that basketball was not "his thing" and that he should consider finishing out the year as the team captain (real meaning: you are not good at basketball and I don't really want you out on the court anymore...but you can sit on the bench and cheer from the sidelines).

Fortunately, Zack overcame this dangerous threat to his self-esteem.  He practiced hard and put a lot of effort into his play.  


And last night his hard work and dedication was rewarded by being named his team's

MVP!

His coach this year (orange shirt) was an amazing man! He was a gentle spirit mixed with enthusiastic encourager. He led the team to 15-3 record...but more importantly, he led the team to elevate their faith, their sportsmanship, and their play. In that order.


I am beyond thrilled that he will be coaching again next year!


 This is the A team coach demonstrating Zack's shooting form.  
 His coach also told the story of Zack's hustle in getting down the court and blocking a sure lay-up off a steal.
 Wow! I am amazed every day that this is the same boy who, before 5th grade, had never been out on a basketball court. 
His first year he scored 0 points
His second year he scored 8 points
This year he scored 148 points (second on the team)
He also led the team in blocks and steals!

Look at his eyes!  This is the moment they said MVP. 
I know he wasn't expecting this.
I know technically he is a year older than all the other kids on the team...but I don't AT ALL want to take away from all the hard work this boy puts into improving his game...each.and.every.day!

I Am So Proud!

You can't really see it - but this says B Team Most Valuable Player.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...