Saturday, March 3, 2012

C.J. - Newborn and Infant

**I am dedicating a few posts to my boys...starting with C.J. and working down to Zack.  


I don't have many pictures of me being pregnant. I was never one to think that being pregnant made me look  beautiful...I always just felt fat!  Anyway, this picture was taken around the middle of June.


Overall, my pregnancy was uneventful and, being back in the "olden days", uneventful pregnancies didn't get ultrasounds so we were left to guess the gender of our baby right up until delivery day. 


Although I was not due until July 24th, my doctor's visit on July 8th revealed symptoms consistent with pre-eclampsia so an induction was scheduled.

On Thursday July 11th, 1991, we arrived at the hospital at 6:30 for some pitocin and at 1:54 p.m. our perfect little boy arrived. 6lbs. 8 ozs. and 19 and 3/4 inches long.


  Oddly, we hadn't really agreed on a boys name.  It's hard to do when your husband throws out names like "Kit" and "Rock".    Meanwhile, I liked Christopher John and wanted to call him C.J.  In the end, I guess we compromised and named him Christopher Lee, Jr.(C.J.)


The day we brought him home from the hospital I couldn't believe they were letting me leave with him.  He was my dream come to life and I thought at any moment someone would wake me from this dream.  We dressed him in the unisex white outfit we had bought, buckled him in his car seat, and drove to our little house on 9th street.


He was the easiest baby to take care of.  He literally slept constantly...waking up only to eat every three hours.  
Even when he finally decided to stay awake more during the day, he was still a great sleeper at night - consistently sleeping 10 hours straight at 7 weeks old. He wasn't, however, a good eater and I was never able to get him to take more than four ounces at a time.


He was very strong and quick to hit his developmental milestones.  By 4 months old he was sitting on his own and by 5 months old he would stand while propped up against things and would army crawl across the floor. Being my first child, I assumed all this was normal.  
And just before he turned 7 months old, he learned to crawl.


And he had the craziest personality


He was just so much fun to be around.
Around the time he turned eight months old he was standing on his own and I was sure he was going to be walking by nine months.


But, unfortunately, he spent most of that month being held and rocked as he was fighting a virus and then an ear infection both resulting in high fevers. Being sick did not help my little peanut out in the weight department and the doctor started getting concerned.  He suggested whole milk, which didn't work out.  But he seemed to like 2% and for the first time ever, he was drinking 6-8 ounces at a time.


And he took his first steps on the day he turned 10 months old.  


As he approached the end of his first year he was on the go from sun-up to sun-down except for a two hour afternoon nap.  And I was very glad that he was content to sleep late in the mornings as I was NOT a morning person.  It was a fun, exciting time in our lives.
What in the world was I thinking wearing this outfit?





At his 1 year check-up he weighed only 19 lbs 2 ozs (3%) and was 29 inches tall (19%).  This is when the monthly weight checks began.
To be cont.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...