Monday, September 29, 2014

Confession Time

I've been watching Australian footy.  To be specific I have watched the highlights of the Grand Final between the Sydney Swans and the Hawthorn Hawks. I think this may be their equivalent to the Super Bowl.  (Pictures from google)



Why I am watching this, I really have no clue.  But I now know more about footy than I ever thought I'd know -which probably still isn't much.  

But here are my general observations:

- The whistle seems to blow a lot - it's blowing almost constantly in fact, but most of the time, the players continue to play.  Why?  How do they know when to continue playing through a whistle and when to stop play?  

- There seem to be no rules as far as roughness goes.  They are allowed to tackle, scratch, claw, trip, push, etc...and all without a bit of protective gear on.  To me, it appears to be a cross between American football and hockey but there are no helmets, no pads, nothing.  It's incredible that there are not eight broken bones in each game.  Although I did see three guys walking around with blood dripping down their faces.  



- From what I can determine from my hour of watching, the "goal" of the game seems to be to kick the football through the goalpost which results in 6 points.  

- It appears as if you can kick, toss, push, or pretty much advance the ball in any manner to your teammates.  You can also push, tackle, trip, or try any maneuver to prevent your opponent from advancing the ball. Pretty rough and barbaric.  

- I did not see any penalties called.  Maybe they have penalties but just didn't show them in the highlights?  Honestly, some of the things I saw would have been flagged in the NFL for unnecessary roughness!  True!

- You seem to be able to attempt kicking a goal from any distance contested.  However, I think if you kick the ball to your teammate and they catch it cleanly inside this certain arc, then you are awarded a free kick...which they seem to always make.

Who won?
The Hawthorn Hawks (The brown and yellow team) And I'll probably never watch footy again.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...