Saturday, July 21, 2012

Glow Lady

For sure three times a summer I hear the echo of children calling 
"glow lady"  
"glow lady"
as they run towards me with money in their hands and a twinkle in their eyes...ready to pick out one of the many blinking, glowing, flashing objects from my cart.

However, the objects are not reserved just for children...several adults buy the flashing necklaces...and last night I sold a group of ladies 5  bunny ears.

S0...
Last night Zack and I grabbed our cart and headed out to sell our glow:


 
and watch the fireworks.
  

In addition to "glow lady" the other thing I hear multiple times a night is someone trying to make a deal for the items we sell.  I politely explain that this is not my business and I'm not authorized to set prices and people are respectful of that.  I don't blame them for them trying and they have appreciation for my position as the middle man.

However, last night...I made an exception...here is the story:

The evening was winding down...it was about 10:15 p.m. and we came across a man and his 2 year old son.

I could tell immediately the man was highly intoxicated b/c he was slurring his speech and couldn't even stand up straight.

So, he told the boy to pick what he wanted and the boy picked a $10.00 light saber.  Immediately I hear "how about $7.00?" 

This is no big surprise to me and I counter with me well rehearsed speech above.

ONLY...he acts like he never even heard me.  In fact, he can hardly even open his wallet he's so drunk.  He hands me $7.00.  

Repeat my well rehearsed speech.

He re-opens his wallet, turns it upside down, and slurs, "lady, that's all I got, take it or leave it."

Now, with his attitude plus the fact that he had probably spent $50.00+ on alcohol that evening 
I would have loved to have told him to take that $7.00 and shove it...back into his wallet (ahem..I'm a Christian).  

But I looked at that little tow-headed boy gripping that light saber with hopeful eyes and what choice did I have?  

My first thought was I could break this little boy's heart and take the light saber back telling him his dad didn't have enough money. (uh..no)

My next thought was I could just let him keep it and take the $7.00 and get the heck out of there as quick as I can. ( uh...yes)

My final thought was...I sure hope to God he is not driving anywhere with that little boy tonight!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...