Tuesday, March 25, 2014

On Ending Relationships

I picked up Jon from school last night and he broke the news on the way home.  

He had ended his relationship with his girlfriend of almost a year.  The reason he cited was the upcoming move to Florida.  

For some reason he has been convinced that a long distance relationship would not work.  I've discussed this with him a few times.  I agreed that it certainly wouldn't be easy, but I didn't think he'd give up without even trying.  

My immediate reaction failed him and I said all the wrong things.  It's not that I knew his girlfriend well - I think I've really only seen her maybe five or six times.  But she was (and still is) the sweetest and kindest girl, which is not easy to find these days.  She also didn't make any demands on him or his time, which is rare and truthfully just what Jon needs in a girl.  



So, for me, it became one of those moments of, "hey, this isn't what I would do, so I don't think you should either."   I failed to give him credit for thinking through this decision.  It may not be the one I would have made, but it was the one he made...and I needed to be there to support him.  




I'm still sad about it.  And, to be honest, secretly praying he'll change his mind. 

   Man, between the three boys, there is bound to be a bunch more break-ups.  I hope I don't take all of them this hard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...