Friday, November 18, 2011

Luck...Or Something Else?

I'm going to start this post by saying that I am a HUGE Tim Tebow fan.

My love for the Florida Gators extends far back into the...ahem...80's... but I was never a raving, maniacal fan until Tim Tebow came along.  (Short bio: he was born to missionary parents in the Philippines.  His mom was considered past her child-bearing years and doctors encouraged her to abort the pregnancy.  Instead, his parents prayed for a healthy child that they could raise to "preach for the Lord."  Not unlike the story of Hannah and Samuel in the Bible!)

Anyway, two National Championships and a Highsman Trophy later, Tebow is now playing in the NFL for the Denver Broncos.

In his second season he has just 5 starts and is widely criticized by analysts for his throwing style (or lack thereof) and his accuracy.  And...I have to say that I agree!  Shocking, I know!  

His throwing style is unconventional.  His accuracy has been a 50/50 shot.  He has never passed for more than 150 yards in any of his starts...never had a QB rating of over 100...or even close to 100.  But HE WINS GAMES!  Somehow, despite all his shortcomings, he is 4-1 as a starter which has to make the average person shake their heads and say "what?"

Indeed it does warrant at least the question "how?"  Which brings me to a comment I overheard the other day by a fourth grader regarding the very subject of Tebow.

The comment went "Tebow is winning because he is getting lucky."

Sorry, bro, gotta respectfully disagree.  Luck insinuates that things are left up to chance and I believe that every single thing that happens is done and ordained by God, because that is His plan.  Luck has not a thing to do with it. 

The NFL may or may not be Tebow's "pulpit" for spreading the Word of God, only time will tell. But I know God has a plan for him and right now, his plan includes winning football games against all odds... to bring glory to Himself! 

And Tebow, being the amazing Christian man that he is, will see that this happens! 

No, luck has nothing to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...