Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Child Troubles

Okay, I need to use this blog as a forum, if I may. My youngest son - 10 years old - was diagnosed about 2.5 years ago with ADHD. He is more the non-active type, not a run around crazed person, just a bit impulsive. But without medication, the boy just cannot think straight. He cannot follow directions and loses focus often. When he was originally diagnosed he was put on Concerta which seemed to be effective in controlling the syptoms, but he quickly lost close to 30 pounds in three months so they had to take him off of it and put him on Straterra, which is a non-stimulant drug. For two years this was a wonder drug! Last year he even managed to acheive staright A's. Socially, this medication saved him. Until...... BAM! During these past two months the medication seemed to be not working as well. I thought he needed an increase in the dosage so I brought him in and they increased from 25 to 40mg but a week later - still not much change. He was doing horribly in school (especially math which requires focus from the beginning of a problem to the end), and was especially having trouble following more than one direction at a time. So, back to the doctor for a switch in medication. I had all my hopes pinned on this new medication (adderal) being the answer to his struggles but after just one week he has been banned from taking it due to stomach pains and now are back on the Stratera. And back to square one. Last night I was a wreck. I know, in the scheme of things, people have it much worse than a child with ADHD. But when it's YOUR child - you take nothing lightly. And just the fact that I have to give him drugs to help him function normally is hard to accept. It is worse when those drugs do things to hurt his little body like stomach pains. Has anybody out there experienced something similar?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...