Saturday, November 26, 2016

The Lost or Forgotten Child?

I have always believed and will always believe that teaching is one of the greatest callings in life.  I feel blessed to have been called into this service.  

If I had to list one goal I have as a teacher it would have nothing at all to do with producing academically challenged super minds.   It would be that every single one of my students would recognize that they are valued and worthy and that they recognize they each have a significant purpose in life.  

I think most teachers like having students that "fit into the box."  Honestly, they require a lot less time and attention, which is nice, but for me, there is very little feeling of accomplishment where those students are concerned.  I prefer the challenging student, whether those challenges are behaviorally or academically, witnessing the growth and success of those students are what give me the feeling that I am making a difference.  

The key to succeed in this goal is to recognize each child as a unique person.  No two situations are the same and it will require a period of trial and error before you find what works.  But the vital word here is "trial". You have to be willing to forge ahead, with love and patience abound, and probably without a lot of progress or cooperation for a while.  

Being the kind of person that wants to help everyone begs the question can everyone be helped?   YES, I firmly believe that children as young as the ones I deal with can be helped and put on the right path with the right intervention.   That being said though, I sometimes have to swallow my pride and recognize that I may not always be the source of that intervention.  

I find myself in this situation right now with my new student.  I will not give up on him as long as God continues to put him in his desk in front of me.  However, I realize that the part I play in changing his path may be getting him help from someone who is specially trained to handle his behaviors.  

But, as long as I am involved, there will never be a lost or forgotten child!  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...