Sunday, October 30, 2022

I Love Them Now - A Countdown 24-20

Growing up I couldn't watch a horror movie at all...even the trailers on TV freaked me out. I still remember my very first horror movie - Halloween II. I don't remember who I saw it with but I know, with an R rating, I was not old enough to see it. 

It affected me for a very long time and I thought "horror movies are not for me."

Fast forward multiple decades and now horror movies are probably my favorite. I am so happy I have a son who is as into them as I am. 

Our movie nights in August and September are devoted to horror as we gear up for Halloween and HHN.

So now I am ranking all the horror movies that we have watched on Friday evenings over the past couple years. 

24). Child's Play II (49%)

I don't remember much about this movie so that says a lot right there.  I had to look online for a recap. Two years after the original Child's Play, a company decides to re-create the doll bringing back the soul of serial killer Charles Lee Ray. After a few kills, Chucky finds his way back to Andy who is now living in foster care. 

It's a typical 80's (although released in 1990) slasher movie with a shallow plot and lots of kills.  



23). Nightmare on Elm Street 4 - The Dream Master (43% Rotten Tomatoes)

This was another typical 80's slasher film as Freddy comes back to invade the dreams of teenage kids. Pretty unforgettable for me. 



22). Friday the 13th (63% Rotten Tomatoes)

Many years after a murder takes place at Camp Crystal Lake, counselors are attempting to fix it up and reopen the doors. Mrs. Voorhees has other plans. Yet another 80's slasher film with a plot that is weakly developed and one kill after another. 

I found out after the fact that the snake used in the movie (which really served no purpose to the plot) was actually killed in the filming. I'm not a fan of snakes, but I think that is a terrible thing to do.



21). Freddy vs. Jason (50% Rotten Tomatoes)

This movie had a rather comical plot. After many years, Freddy has lost most of his power as the citizens of his town are no longer afraid of him. He enlists the help of Jason Voorhees and manipulates him into killing so the people of his town will become afraid and he will regain his power. And while his plan worked, Freddy soon discover that Jason cannot control himself and is killing all of Freddy's intended victims himself. 

What ensues is a battle between the two evil murderers. In the end, who won was uncertain. Jason emerges from the water with Freddy's severed head so you first think he won. However, Freddy winks and you can hear laughter in the background. 

The plot was strong and humorous enough to make the film work. 



20). Evil Dead II (89% Rotten Tomatoes)

Ash and his girlfriend take a vacation to a remote cabin in the woods. They find and play a recording of an incantation that unleashes an evil force. His girlfriend is possessed almost immediately and Ash has to kill her so the rest of the movie is pretty much Ash alone trying to survive. 

However, just because it's low on the list doesn't mean I didn't like it.  There are crazy special effects in this movie that, as my son put it, "feels like a 90-minute acid trip."  That in combination with the wild slapstick humor made it overall an enjoyable watch. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...