Thursday, January 2, 2020

In the Blink of an Eye - The Cost of Love


Imagine you turn to your significant other from the front door of your home and voice some mundane mumbling about walking to the mailbox to get the mail, something you do nearly everyday, only this time, the outcome of that trip results in a situation from which you will never recover. 

In the blink of an eye, everything can change. 




This is my uncle (mom's brother)...Uncle Bob...he lives in Wisconsin. On New Years Eve he went out to his mailbox, slipped on some ice, and his head hit the ground resulting in a brain hemorrhage.

Initially, he was communicating - albeit confused with some memory loss - however, as the bleed advanced and progressed, he drifted into a coma and is now on life support. Doctors say he will not live through this. 

In fact, even as I type this, a meeting is being held to discuss options regarding discontinuation of life support. 

In other words - he NEEDS a miracle!  I have 100% faith and belief that this COULD happen. We are asking for this...begging for it. As smart as doctors are, their knowledge and capabilities are finite/limited. God's power is infinite/limitless/never-ending/absolute/inexhaustible/immeasurable. 

However, I am equally aware that this is OUR hearts desire. This may not be God's plan which, even when it doesn't accommodate our desires, is always perfect. 



My hope is that he knows he is LOVED!  Loved by many...wife, sons, daughter, grandchildren, sisters, nieces and nephews,cousins, and friends. 



I am so glad we were able to meet for dinner when he and his wife were in Orlando in October. Possibly our last hug; our last conversation this side of eternal life. 


I am so happy we could meet them at the Magic Kingdom for that one day in 2015. We had a wonderfully enjoyable day. 




I'm so glad he found his life partner and soul mate after a couple of failed marriages. They were incredibly blessed to have found each other. 







I am so glad they found time to travel and enjoy extended vacations. They truly enjoyed each other's company and were so young at heart.



Groomed by my grandfather, he was a huge Brewers fan. Living close to the stadium, I am glad he enjoyed many games - and even a halfway decent team in recent years. 




And I'm glad he got to enjoy the delight of being a grandparent. He has four grandchildren. The other two are older, but oh my goodness, they spoiled those two girls and showered them with a fervent love.  

I wish I could do something to take away the grief and sadness we will all experience from this loss. But that is the price of love. 

 "I could have missed the pain but I'd have had to miss the dance."

     - Garth Brooks ---The Dance



No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...