Friday, July 12, 2019

TTCOHTM

Welcome to another addition of Things That Could Only Happen to Me (or as the title states, TTCOHTM)

A little back story:

On Wednesday June 5 I got a call from my bank while I was driving to work. The caller asked me if I would be able to make it into the office that day to deposit money in my checking account because, according to her, I had a debit scheduled for $1,295 and a balance in the account of only about $700.

I recognized that $1,295 because that is my rent but the available funds in my account confused me. I told her that was not possible. Not only did I have my paycheck (which is OVER $1300) directly deposited in the account on the 31st, I had also deposited a $700 check in there on Saturday the 1st.  She told me she would look into it and call me back. 

Once I got to work I checked my online statement which showed that my rent had been taken out the day before (the 4th) and that the $700 was the balance AFTER the rent withdrawal.  I called her back to let her know that and did not give it another thought.......

Until July 1st when I logged in to pay my rent again and noticed it was more than usual. I made a payment for the usual $1295, and then went into the office to ask about the overage charges. 

Imagine my shock when they told me my June rent payment had been returned for Non-Sufficient Funds.  They gave me a printout that showed on June 2 at 2:22 pm, the transaction had been declined.  The transaction went through on June 4 - even though there was the same amount of money in the account both days. 

I had no choice but to pay the $50.00 fee or else they would charge me a late fee. Meanwhile, my bank also charged me a NSF fee of $36.00.  I was furious! 

Over the next week, I made three visits to my bank and each person I talked to was as confused as I was. In their big book of NSF transactions, the date of the transaction was June 5.  Meanwhile, I am flashing my bank statement at them that shows the transaction went through on the 4th so of course funds would not be available on the 5th!  Duh!  

In the end, the bank finally refunded my $36.00. 

Now, my attention turns to my apartment complex, their bank, and getting my $50.00 back. It took me a while to realize this, but June 2 was a Sunday. Banks don't do business on Sundays. Even if a person has an automatic withdrawal set up and the day falls on a Sunday, the transaction will take place the following Monday. So...why the bank is attempting to complete a transaction on Sunday is beyond me. And I must add, my bank has no record of this transaction ever even being attempted on the 2nd.

Confused? Me too. All I know is I am still out $50 yet and whatever happened was not my fault!  So...I fight on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...