Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Rating the Queen Songs from Bohemian Rhapsody



I have a confession...I LOVE movies about bands/singers, their lives, and how they came to fame.  I remember a few years ago when Jersey Boys came out ---I couldn't get enough.  I am currently loving Bohemian Rhapsody, which is a far superior movie to Jersey Boys.  And I cannot wait for Rocketman (the Elton John movie) to come out this summer. I'm sure I will be just as obsessed. 

In honor of Bohemian Rhapsody being released digitally today (and YES, I bought mine on Amazon Prime and have already curled up on the couch and watched it on my 60 inch television), I am going to rank the 18 songs that are included in the movie.  

This is strictly my opinion. If I am being honest, half of these songs I never heard until the movie came out. Some, like Crazy Little Thing Called Love and Under Pressure, I had heard but had no idea that Queen sang them. 

18). Who Wants to Live Forever - this song fits in perfectly with its spot in the movie and the tone and speed of the song adds to the poignancy of the the scene in which he finds out he has aids.  It's just not a song that I feel like listening to outside of the movie.

17). Love of My Life - A brilliant song which is beautifully sung just, again, I have no interest in listening to it outside the movie.

16). Now I'm Here - I love the use of this in the movie though

15). Under Pressure - always attributed this song to David Bowie.  Queen collaborated with Bowie to write it, but Queen recorded it and it was included in their album Hot Space. 

14). Crazy Little Thing Called Love - I confess I always thought this was a song by Elvis Presley, which makes sense since Mercury wrote it as a tribute to Elvis.  But the fact that Elvis died in 1977 and the song wasn't written until 1979 means that Elvis never actually sang the song. 

13). Seven Seas of Rhye - Recorded for their second album and I believe was their first (semi) hit record. 

12). Keep Yourself Alive - A catchy tune that never really caught on. 

11). Somebody to Love - It made a great opening song for the movie 

10). I Want to Break Free - the "dressed in drag" video really adds to the greatness of this song!

9). Another One Bites the Dust - probably my third favorite song BEFORE the movie

8). Killer Queen - Their first big, big hit record. 

7). Hammer to Fall - Once again, I had heard this song before but did not associate it with Queen. 

6). Don't Stop Me - I had never heard this song before the movie, but its fast pace, great lyrics, and phenomenal singing by Mercury makes this a song I like listening to again and again. Supposedly this song details Mercury's self confessed insatiable sexual appetite and the fact that he references both man and woman in the song, I believe reveals where his feelings were at that time in his life.

5). Fat Bottomed Girls - Just a great song and perfectly fit in the movie while highlighting their tour of America. 

4). Radio Ga Ga - Another song I had never heard before seeing the movie, but after seeing the movie, I just could not get this song out of my mind. 

3). We Will Rock You - Who doesn't love this song? And probably one of the most recognized songs in the world.

2). We Are the Champions - Again, who doesn't love this song? And the fact that it was released back to back with We Will Rock You means it is probably equally popular. 

1). Bohemian Rhapsody - was there any doubt...a true masterpiece --------that was shredded by the critics. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...