Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Summer Bucket List

My summer bucket list this year was simple:
1). survive
2). read 
3). find a place to live
4). re-arrange curriculum folders

I am very happy to say that 3/4 of these were accomplished.

Here is the breakdown: 

1). Survive:   
This one may seem funny but at the beginning of the summer I was faced with the prospect that Zack and I would be spending two whole months up in Michigan with my parents in their small two bedroom mobile home...the one with wood paneling, carpets, and drapes straight out of the 70's.  We now have only 5 days left here and things have gone much better than I expected. Zack has been happy and has kept himself occupied pretty well.  I have tried to help with meals or cleaning up and have chipped in financially so we are not mooching.  I have to say that overall it's been pretty low-stress.

2). Read:
Nope...did not happen.  I usually only read over the summer - and only read while sitting outside in the sun.  This summer we have such crappy weather (and I mean CRAPPY) that I have read only 1/2 of 1 of the  4 books I bought to read this summer.  I have sat outside a total of three times to read (otherwise have read a bit in the car) and Zack and I have not been to the lake one. single. time. 

3). Find a place to live:
This was not as easy as it seems.  Finding an apartment that accepted dogs was tough.  In the end though, I settled on a place that will let me out of a lease on May 31 (when Zack and I will move to Orlando).  The apartment is on the second floor which makes me a little nervous because I have a son with flat feet who walks like an elephant!  It may take some time to teach him how to walk quietly.  We are able to move in August 1st.  

4). Re-arrange Curriculum Folders:
Each class I teach has a desktop folder with assignments in them.  These folders were created by the previous computer teacher and  were there when I took the job three years ago.  In the past three years, I have added and deleted assignments and have also typed out explicit directions for all assignments (because some children learn better that way vs. following my oral instructions or some forget the directions and need reminders) All these things have not been added to the folders yet and I have just been printing them and handing them out...in other words...wasting a lot of paper.  

So I spent this summer moving things around and arranging folders to make everything easier and more self paced.  I also made an extra credit folder for those who finish earlier and want to earn extra credit (and also for those who cannot behave during free moments - brilliant!!!)You know, now I can say, "I see you cannot behave during your free time so open up the extra credit folder and do assignment 6."  It's all about making it easier for me!  

Yep...I'm ready for the school year.  Oh wait...I have to wait four more weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...