Thursday, October 10, 2024

Hurricane Milton

 We've had a few unexpected days off here thanks to a hurricane crossing the state.  We did have school Tuesday thank goodness, as most schools in our area did not (one less day to make up).  We had off yesterday, today, and will not have school tomorrow either.  A lot of people are without power, including my parents in Flagler Beach.  We are fortunate that our power lines are underground - most likely because of being on the same grid as Sea World - so we were not in jeopardy of losing power. 


During the day yesterday we had some rain bands on and off - some heavy - but not really any wind.  The worst of the storm, I've been told, was between 4-6 am.  I slept all night long.  This morning, Zack and I took a walk around our complex to see the damage.


A lot of debris and some trees down, but not as bad as it could have been.  I have been trying to find an accurate recording of maximum wind speeds, but the best I could find was from the Orlando Airport (about 10 miles away) which had a recorded wind gust of  almost 80 mph around 5:00 am.  








We made it through another hurricane.  Honestly, this is the first hurricane we did not evacuate for. When the kids were little they would be pretty scared at the thought of hurricanes and the chance of a tornado so we/I would take them away. The past few years my parents would want to leave so Zack and I (and Ollie) would pack-up and go with them to share the driving.  This time, I don't think my dad would have done very well leaving his home.  Of course, if it was a life and death situation for them I would have taken them out of there, but they live on the ocean side and this hurricane came in on the gulf side so there was no imminent danger to them.  I'm just praying their power is restored soon.  You would think in a retirement community the power lines would be buried.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hurricane Milton

  We've had a few unexpected days off here thanks to a hurricane crossing the state.  We did have school Tuesday thank goodness, as most...