Sunday, July 24, 2016

News on the Job Front

A couple months ago I went onto a DOE website and submitted a shortened version of my extensive resume to every charter school within a 30 mile radius of my apartment.  

I received responses from 3 of them.  One of them I was never able to connect with.  The day I went to visit the school, the principal was too busy to meet with me (which she told me might be the case) so I left my resume and letters of recommendations with her.  By the time she had gotten back to me, I had been "offered" a position already.  It was probably the best anyway because the position at that school was a preschool position and preschool is NOT my desired level.  

Anyway, a couple weeks ago, I went for an interview at a charter school in Kissimmee (I will refrain from using the name) and, at the end of the interview, the principal told me she wanted to offer me the 4th grade position - which is exactly the level I wanted.  She said she was going to pass my info to their business director and he would be in contact with me to sign paperwork.  To me, that sounded pretty definite so I gave my notice at Universal in preparation for their July 25 start date (yes, tomorrow).  There was a slight hold-up getting the approval of the DOE for my hire which he said he was going to "really put a rush on" when I spoke to him on Thursday morning.  He said he would know something by the end of the day and get back to me.  

Well...he didn't.

So I waited to hear from on Friday morning...nothing.  

Then, Friday about 1:00, I received a call from another school that wanted to interview me ASAP.  At first, I said no...but when I thought about it, I changed my mind.  I did not want to burn bridges...after all, I had not signed a contract yet and this other school seemed in no big hurry to get it done.  

So I went Friday at 3:00.  I immediately loved the school.  It is small - with only about 200 students - and the building is new and warm and inviting.  

I left the interview about 4:00 and not even 10 minutes later, I got a call from the principal saying she wanted to hire me for the 1st grade position. This level was not my first choice but the more I think about it, the more excited I am getting.  

We are again waiting for the approval of the DOE but this time they need the approval of Orange county not Osceola county.  She also believed that that since I took, and passed, the Praxis exam several years ago, that that would probably be enough to prove that I am a "highly qualified teacher" and I would not need to take the $700.00 exam for Florida certification.  I really hope so.  

It is so amazing how God works to reveal his plans and always knows what is best for us and does what is in our best interests.  



Oh...and the best part...I pass right by Central Florida Christian Academy on my way.  I hope to get Zack in there for his senior year.  

I guess I will update when I know more....stay tuned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...