Wednesday, January 18, 2023

It was Christmas Break

 This year our break lasted from Friday December 16 to Tuesday January 4.   It was full of ups and downs, good and terrible, and here is the recap. 


The last day before break we had one of those days in the classroom that I was really dreading but it turned out to be so wonderful. Over the course of 3 hours (in 1/2 hour increments) the kindergarteners, 1st graders, and 2nd graders circulated through the 6 classrooms and learned about celebrations in other countries or cultures. I did China so I showed a short video on the lantern festival and then the kids made their own Chinese Lanterns. It was a lot of fun.  Our kiddos were dismissed at 12:30 so we had the afternoon off. I hung around at school for a bit getting everything ready for the first week back and trying to access my students' latest progress monitoring scores - trying being the operative word here because I was not able to do it.  UGH!

After leaving I headed straight to Target and used the newly acquired $100 in gift cards to load up on groceries. I swung by home to unload the groceries and then met CJ at the Cinemark to see Violent Night. It was completely different than I was thinking but still a good movie. I would recommend it and will be re-watching it once it is dropped on streaming. 



Tuesday night I was sitting at home bored silly so I decided to walk over to Sea World. I walked through some exhibits, saw the Orca show, and just walked around the park looking at the Christmas lights. 





Thursday night (22nd) we headed over to CJ's for a movie - Killer Party - a 1986 slasher type film with a little bit of possession and a whole lot of sorority and fraternity hi-jinx.  Very loose plot as is common for 80's horror. 


 

The night of the 23rd brought us to Amway Center for the Orlando Magic game. This time they played the Spurs and it was all Magic from beginning to end. Final score 133-113. 






Side note: This was the second game in a row we had overly obnoxious and screaming kids behind us. I get that this is a sports venue and it's going to be loud, but these kids were so far over the top!!!!  Do parents not teach their kids to respect those around them?  

Moving on...

Christmas Eve we drove up to my parents and about 5 miles from our destination, the car started chug, chug, chugging along complete with a rattling sound under the hood.  Eventually, it would not even  move when it was in drive (it was fine in reverse and neutral though) **eye roll** 

 Thankfully we were right down the road from my parents so my dad came to pick us up. I was pretty upset for about 15 minutes and then decided I was not going to allow this misfortune ruin our Christmas.

 The Christmas Eve menu at my parents was cold shrimp, cheese, sausage, and crackers, spinach dip, and my dad's meatballs washed down with some amaretto and orange juice. Then we all piled in the car to look at Christmas lights in the nearby neighborhood of Sugar Mills. This year we did not go over to Towne Center in Palm Coast to walk through their light display because it was way too cold! Once we got back to my parents Zack and I turned on A Christmas Story and I resumed the never-ending mounds of laundry. 



On Christmas Day Chris and the boys drove up and we had a great day filled with lasagna for dinner, a Packers game (for the guys), and a Christmas episode of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia. Zack, Ollie, and I hitched a ride back to Orlando and I was without a car for a few days while it was being repaired at the Nissan dealership in Daytona Beach. 

On Monday (while I had Jon's car) I had errands to run so Zack came along and we stopped for lunch at Freddy's. We both love it there...their cheese curds...YUMMMY!!!  But it is not cheap for fast food. 



Thursday CJ took Zack and me over to Daytona to pick up my now-fixed car (transmission/free under warranty).  After picking up the car we drove up to my parents house, picked up my mom, and had a very disappointing meal at Steak-n-Shake. 


First of all, they got rid of their chicken strips so Zack was not happy about that. Then burger he ended up getting was so thin it barely had any taste.  Finally, gone is the table service...now you order at a kiosk and pick up your food at the counter. 


Unfortunately, on New Year's Day, Zack and I both woke up sick. We both had bad coughs and cold symptoms. I added a low fever into mine. I went to the doctor because I missed the first two days back from break and ended up having bronchitis. As a general practice, schools don't look too kindly when you don't come back from a break on time and assume you are trying to extend your vacation - hence getting the doctor's note. Sadly, we are still not fully recovered with a lingering cough and nose blowing. 

To close out break, this little baby girl gave us a real scare - which I will detail in another post. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...