Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Anniversary

According to my mother:
she was a fat, dowdy, homely teenager working as a waitress in a cafe while home from college for the summer.  Each night a drop dead gorgeous, handsome man would come into the cafe for dinner.  Far from home, he was working and sending money home for his mother and two brothers who were still in school. He would sit in her section and make small talk while eating and finally one day...he asked her out on a date...the rest is family history.

According to my father:
He was living away from home working and could not cook so he went out to eat every night.  He had just changed diners because the previous one started playing loud rock and roll music and that was not his style...this led him to the cafe my mother was working at...he describes my mother as a beautiful woman...on the inside and the outside.  She had these gorgeous eyes that flirted with him innocently from behind her cat-eyed glasses.  She was a down to earth woman who was interested in more than the superficial and did not posses the common "what's in it for me" attitude.

Their courtship included a year apart while my dad served in the army in Korea.

They were married August 18, 1962.

Saturday we celebrated with them as they marked 50 years together.











I feel so blessed to have had such wonderful parents and am so happy that Jerry and I could give them a nice dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...