Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Basketball


Another basketball season is upon us. 






Even though I am home-schooling Zack right now, I have kept him enrolled at Oshkosh Christian School for Music and Gym so he is able to join the basketball team. 
Tonight Zack had his first basketball game and unlike last year, he played just about the whole game - except for two couple minute breaks.  In fact, he probably played more tonight than he played all of last year. 


But this year was different in other ways too.  There was no screaming or yelling coming from the bench - and by that I mean from the coaches!! 




In fact, if you don't mind, I am going to get on my soapbox here for a moment:
I have long had issues with coaches who have their priorities in this order
1). winning
2). the heart of a child


It is possible that I look at this differently because I am/was a teacher and I am keenly aware of their self concepts and self-esteem.  I understand how quickly and easily their opinions of self worth can be damaged or destroyed. 


What message is sent to a 10 or 11 year old that sits on the bench for all but a minute or two?


Here is the message I think they get "we need to win and sorry, kid, you're not good enough to get it done."


"YOU'RE NOT GOOD ENOUGH"


This is not the message young kids should be getting.


Maybe I would not make a good coach because winning games would not be high on my list.  In fact, if I was a coach, my list would look something like this:
1). glorifying God in all we do
2). acceptance of everyone (read...equal playing time for all)
3). having fun
4). winning


Anyway, enough... I will get off my soapbox... all I am trying to say is that last year Zack had some really great people as coaches.. but as coaches they weren't great people.  Does that make sense?  They played only the best players and yelled at the children CONSTANTLY from the bench if they did something wrong... and let's get real.. these were 10 and 11 year olds... they were going to do a lot wrong!  This year, there are new coaches and though it has only been one game... there was a huge difference!  No yelling....everyone played.... and they lost (SO WHAT)!  I love it!


Zack had an awesome game.  though he didn't score any of the team's 18 points (15 were scored by the same person) he had four or five rebounds,  two steals, a blocked shot, and  two fouls.  I am so proud of you, Zack.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Another Last Day

  That is a wrap on the 2023-2024 school year.  I spent this year at Central Florida Christian Academy.  The school is associated with Churc...